Technology partner for TU-TRANS: Pilot implementation of UHF cards in public transport.
Palma Tools is the technology partner of this project, which engages with the Agencia Valenciana de la Movilidad Metropolitana and the Mancomunida de la Comarca de Pamplona.
TU-TRANS is funded by the Ministry of Development, in the Helps Pilot Programs on sustainable mobility line.
SUMMARY OF THE PROJECT.
The Ticketing sistems of public transportation are changing from the tickets in traditional magnetic stripe to the contactless cards (cards with a chip and an antenna). Until now closeness cards, with distances greater than 2-3 meters, required the card had a battery, but recent technological developments have allowed simple and inexpensive chips for distances of 7-10 meters without battery. The technology used for communication is based on UHF frequencies. This technology is very sensitive to transmission environment, barriers, weather conditions etc., requiring adequate design and adaptation to the environment of use.
TU-TRANS project. Objectives.
Have cards with both chips. The Proximity and the closeness (UHF)
Detect input validation as they do today.
Detecting chip UHF output.
Study other types of detector settings.
Using the UHF chip.
The AMM, within the project A> punT decided to investigate the possibilities of the use in public transport of the new closeness chips with UHF transmission technology. Palma Tools is the company that has been giving the technological support to the project for its successful implementation.
The innovative nature of this project is complete because there are the following factors:
There are no known experience sector.
There is no known published experience in public transport using this scheme.
Although there is tests, including logistics sector deployments, technology depends greatly on the physical environment so that consideration is required specifically for the case of public transport and particularly on the bus environment.
The technology to apply is very recent.
PILOT IMPLEMENTATION AND MCP.
The project develops two pilot projects staggered to better optimize the effects of the project, as follows:
Pilot Project with AMM staff to analyze the equipments and chips, in VALENCIA.
Pilot project with real users in PAMPLONA, taking advantage that the Mancomunidad de la Comarca de Pamplona (MCP) has already distributed UHF chip cards to their customers.
Selection of equipment to use in the pilot.
Chip and card selection.
Analysis of the different types of chip and antennas available on the market.
Selecting a kind of chips and antennas to test.
- Select the manufacturer of smart cards with integrated proximity and UHF chips
Reader equipment selection
Analysis of equipment on the market.
Equipment selection and vendor.
System design and development.
In the data download system.
In the BackOffice and post-processing of data system.
Development of the elements.
Readers and antennas.
Once purchased the equipment is made a prototype to test the solution before the deployment on a bus. This implies:
Mounting laboratory prototype.
Design and implementation of laboratory tests.
Testing installed system.
Installing a pilot bus.
- Test the installed system
Changes and corrections in the model.
IDEAS OF POSSIBLE PROFITS FOR CHIPS UHF
1. To detect in real-time the vehicles occupancy level with detailed knowledge of the chips on board
2. To determine exactly journeys made by passengers
3. To measure occupation and routes by detection of the up and down to the vehicle
4. To detect in real time the presence of passengers at bus-stops, even knowing the line that will most likely access when it could be different possibilities.
5. To detect in bus-stops the passage of buses to develop dynamically schedules and notices to travelers about the following stops
6. To detect in bus-stops the passage of vehicles adapted to provide real time information
7. To detect in bus-stops with Teleindicators available the presence of blind to provide them audio messages.
8. To detect the presence of passengers in optional bus-stops.
9.To switch on and off the available services in Optional or not bus-stops (lighting, remote indicators, etc..), depending on the presence of passengers for energy saving.
10. Tarification to bank account depending on monthly uses (similar to mobile fare)
11. Long term pass to access to public transport (eg. Annual)
12.To adapt information on the bus to the profile of the majority of occupants (e.. Students, tourists, retirees, etc.) You can fill out a form to apply for the card and give preferences.